GrindingHub Launches Grinder of the Year Competition
Young talents can now register for the Grinder of the Year competition and put their theoretical knowledge and practical grinding skills to the test. Also to be won, alongside the Grinder of the Year 2024 title itself, are training vouchers of up to 3,500 euros in value and many other attractive prizes. Apprentices, journeymen and women as well as career-changers can apply until 26 February 2024.
The campaign has been launched by GrindingHub, the trade fair for grinding technology, in cooperation with the Australian grinding machine manufacturer and principal sponsor Anca. Dr. Markus Heering, Managing Director of the GrindingHub organizer VDW (German Machine Tool Builders' Association) explains: "The competition aims to consolidate GrindingHub's status as the meeting point for grinding technology, and also to show how the sector is combatting the shortage of skilled workers by promoting young talent. That is why we are pleased to have found such an influential partner in Anca and look forward to seeing the new generation in action." The KSKomm agency from Ransbach-Baumbach is responsible for organizing and running the competition.
Two days of training on an FX5 ULTRA 5-axis tool grinding machine
The preliminary round of the competition consists of a theory test and two days of training on the competition machine, an FX5 ULTRA 5-axis tool grinding machine, at Anca in Weinheim, Germany. The five best entrants will then give a live demonstration of their practical skills by grinding a workpiece or tool during the GrindingHub from 14 to 17 May 2024 in Stuttgart. Edmund Boland, General Manager Europe in Anca’s CNC Machines division, points out: "The diverse roles within the grinding industry are exciting yet challenging. As parts become more and more demanding in terms of accuracy and complexity, challenges for tool grinders also increase. ANCA products are designed to solve these complex tasks and also encourage the younger generation to pursue these captivating high-tech professions. We are honoured to support the competition as the main sponsor, addressing the crucial topic of skilled labour in the year of our 50th company anniversary."
- Prize: Training voucher worth Euro 3,500 (e.g. for participation in master classes, seminars, conferences, training courses, etc.)
- Prize: Training voucher worth Euro 2,000
- Prize: Training voucher worth Euro 1,000
- and 5. prices: One training voucher each, worth Euro 500
The following conditions apply:
- The competition is aimed at apprentices, career-changers, journeymen and women and trainee skilled workers in the field of metal grinding.
- It is open to young talents from German, Austrian and Swiss companies which use grinding technology in their production.
- These include occupations such as cutting machine operators, precision mechanics, precision tool mechanics, metal (cutting) technology specialists, specialist metal technology trainees, specialist cutting mechanics trainees, machine and plant operators, punching and forming mechanics, poly-mechanics, production mechanics and tool mechanics.
Further information can be found at www.grinder-of-the-year.de